Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fish: A Timeline

Xmas posts will arrive as soon as photos are on the computer. Suffice to say, we had a fun, interesting and present filled holiday. One of the big gifts from Santa was a fish tank that big guy has been asking for since August. Following set up the day after Xmas, I was actually kind of excited, since I had fish growing up and the tank was my nightlight for many years. Please note that hubs did EVERYTHING the right way according to instructions on fish tank, my mom and various internet sites about setting up and acquiring fish. Here is a timeline of the Saturday after Xmas:

10:00am- arrival at petco. We spoke with Steve, least knowledgeable petco guy to be found. We got food, decorative rock, decorative plastic plant, net, water cleaning products, thermometer, heater and two fish. A yellow tailed guppy named Lemon and a suckerfish named Otto.

11:00am- arrival back home. Hubs and big guy arrange declarations, test water, have fish in bag in water. Cue complete joy on big guys face!

11:45- Lemon and Otto are in their new home swimming happily.

1:30- big guy and I go check on fish to see if they are "still pretty or dead." His words not mine. All ok! Though Lemon was looking a little grayish.

2:30- little man and I go to change diaper and check on fish again. RIP Lemon.

2:40- flushing of Lemon. We say goodbye. I have talk with big guy about why fish is dead and how it's not his fault. Cue heart crush when he says he thinks he stomped too much around the tank.

6:30pm- say goodnight and feed Otto. We have another talk about fish being fragile.

Somewhere between 3:00-5:20am- RIP Otto.

5:20am- big guy- " mommy! I'm awake! My fish is upside down!"

Good lord, could I have felt worse. Many conversations have followed about feeling sadness about fish and getting more. Hubs tests the water everyday and it's all perfect! So we are going to go to a local fish store and bring a water sample. I am hopeful that we will someday own and keep alive at least one fish. Otherwise, Santa just got us a really expensive nightlight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment