Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter bunny visit

Easter was yesterday and was a bit exhausting! I think mostly because we had had a really great Saturday of fun just the boys and I as hubs was working. We were outside, made a cake, played, had a fun dinner. It was really wonderful. So of course, everyone was tired and a bit grouchy, me included. The morning started off ok, as big guy awoke to an Easter basket of Hershey kisses, gold coins, a wind up caterpillar, a light up squishy bunny, two new need balls and some Winnie the Pooh stickers but quickly went into grumpiness. We went to our local bagel shop for brunch and had a feast.

We were ok until big guy wanted to buy some candy, but we needed to go to trader joes for some turkey meatballs. Cue breakdown by big guy even though we told him he could get anything he wanted from TJ's. Finally calm, we had a nice shopping experience until big guy wanted to get flowers. And in the infinite certainty that 5 year olds make no sense he then hated the flowers he had chosen! Saying he didn't want them or even to look at them. Grrrr. Anyway, we picked some daffodils from our yard to supplement and that soothed the beast. I took the boys upstairs for nap time, little man ate and fell asleep only to be woken up twice by big guy acting crazy in his room! Whereas Saturday he was calm until little man was out and then he and I snuggled and watched a movie, Sunday he couldn't keep quiet long enough for me to get there.  Grrrr again.

After the second wake up and me losing my cool with big guy, I abandoned nap time and took the boys for a walk. As much to soothe my spirit as to give hubs some quiet time to work downstairs. The walk was restorative to us all. The weather was gorgeous for Easter. We walked without needing coats and just enjoyed talking about all the new plants and leaves and flowers. After the walk, I took little man up for a snack while big guy and hubs went to pick up P, one of my former students who is now a dear friend. She came and we all hung out. Then P and I went to hide Easter eggs outside. Our neighbor down the street came and the she and big guy hunted for a good 15 minutes. We had a lot of eggs! They had a wonderful time and big guy's basket and expert egg finding skills gave him a lot of loot! We went inside while I started on dinner and then while everything was cooking in oven, we went back outside and ended up finding a few more eggs! Once inside, big guy proceeded to open all the plastic eggs, the real ones I put back in the fridge, and little man was so excited to shake the plastic eggs and generally throw and make a mess with them!!

We sat down to dinner and in the background was the movie Interstellar which we had been watching all day- big guy is obsessed with it! After dinner we played and then had some yummy dessert before calling it a day. So although Easter started out a bit rocky, it had a really sweet ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment