Friday, April 1, 2011

Will big guy ever be healthy again???

Big guy has been healthy for about a month since November. We've hit one cold right after another, coupled with previous ear infections, and then a tummy bug. Our most recent bout of nebulizing was pretty bad. And now we have moved onto another cold/cough combination. The cough was pretty bad. On Tuesday we went to the dr b/c big guy was panting. that's right, panting like a dog. pretty sad.

Dr said his chest was clear, but to nebulize before he went to bed, just to open up his airways. All good. Wednesday morning is good and off to school we go. When I pick big guy up from school on wednesday afternoon- wheezing. G-d damn it! I immediately go home and nebulize (that's right, I've officially made it a verb!). He sounds better and we have a yummy dinner and then another nebulizing before bed.

Hubs and I are exhausted at this point- did I mention this was the night I locked myself out? All three of us are passed out until about 1 and then the coughing starts. Big guy is coughing, wheezing, and what sounds like he is holding his breath between inhaling and exhaling. Oy! I immediately decide to nebulize. big guy sounds much better, but unfortunately, decides to stay awake until 3:30. so tired...

Hubs said he sounded good in the morning, but I was still worried. I mean, it's still freezing here and cold season isn't over yet. I pick big guy up from school and he sounds perfect! But we still go to our dr's appt b/c I need to know what to do when the wheezing starts. I am happy to report that I did exactly the right thing. Anytime I feel like big guy needs some help with his breathing, I am to nebulize. And I should let them know if I feel like I am doing it too much ( like three days in a row), if I'm doing it every couple of days for a couple of weeks, or if I feel like it isn't working. Whew!

And I asked about if we should be concerned about future breathing issues. My side doesn't have any asthma (that I know of!) and hubs's side has a little, but barely anything to be concerned about. Dr said that she isn't worried, but that until he's two or three, he might need help during cold season. Which is fine by me. C'mon spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment