Sunday, July 31, 2011

Omg, what is going on?

Big guy is having some sleep issues. It's really sad b/c up until the month of July, he was a great sleeper- unless he was sick, he slept ten hours every night. It was wonderful. But then he started to get molars, as well as all the rest of his teeth this month and he's been a disaster. The first week he would wake up around 1:30 and cry, but I could get him back to bed. Then the second week he slept great again- I thought we were in the clear.

Then the third week came and not only was he not sleeping through the night again, but he started screaming hysterically whenever I would put him down. See our normal routine is for us to enjoy some milk, get dressed for bed, and for hubs to read a story. Then hubs would say goodnight and big guy and I would snuggle for a few mins. I put him into his crib, tell him I love him, and then leave. No tears, no whimpers, sometimes he would move around for a few mins, but nothing to get upset about.

Now, he wraps his legs around my waste and does a choke hold on my neck. He squeezes me and I have to pry him off of me. Then he starts crying with these really loud hysterical screams. And I'm afraid to leave him in the room in his crib b/c I'm afraid he'll try to jump out. He's that upset. A few nights he had to sleep in his pack n' play as it's lower to the ground. But now I have a system- I put a fitted sheet over the crib to let him feel safe/secure. I lay down next to his crib and put my arm in. We spend several minutes talking, me saying reassuring sentences about getting a good night sleep. Then when he's relatively calm, I leave. Sometimes he screams, sometimes not. I've been doing this for a week and he has only slept through the night twice.

Most often he wakes, but I can get him back to sleep. I'm starting to get worried that something is really wrong with big guy. Do his ears hurt? He pokes at them during the day. Are his teeth still bothering him? He's gotten at least ten new teeth in the past month. Is it separation anxiety? Big guy and I have been with each other all day for six weeks. I'm fearful it will be painful to leave him in four weeks. Bad dreams? Nightmares wake me up all the time.

I'm going to have to call the dr this week, as I'm exhausted and have no answers. My left eye has been twitching for a week. Poor big guy. So tired and grouchy- but we have been having a great summer. I really just want him to get back to his normal schedule. In other sleep news, big guy has given up his morning nap! I know, I was shocked, too. But it was his choice, as I am still lamenting getting that delicious nap every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment