Saturday, October 22, 2011

discipline

as we creep closer and closer to the big 2 (!), we venture more and more into the world of discipline. big guy's two biggest issues that are I suppose really my issues are throwing things and spitting. oooh- they burn my bacon!

The throwing thing I think stems from trying to understand that there are some things that are ok to throw and others that are not. Ok to throw include: balls, rocks when outside, stuff in the bathtub. Things big guys likes to throw that aren't ok to throw: trains, books, food, toy cars. The biggest issue is throwing the trains. Mostly because they are hard and it annoys me. Now when he throws trains, he first gets a warning and then the second time the train has a time-out for two minutes- I set the time on the oven timer and I explain that when the timer beeps, big guy can have the train back. He cries for the whole two minutes. Then if it happens again, I can just look at him and he lays on the floor and cries. It's kind of sad. And yet funny, b/c he knows he's made a bad choice.

The other big issue we have is spitting- which big guy thinks it is hilarious! And sometimes it is- truthfully. Mostly, I hate when he's eating and starts spitting his food back out. Which was a big issue this week when he was eating real dinners again but was really frustrating on the spitting side. Especially when it hits me in the face. Not cool. And I realize on one level that he's figuring out all the stuff he can do and looking at his own spit on the table/floor is an interesting development, but we are working on it. truthfully, it has gotten better towards the end of the week. And I'll keep plugging along with my techniques!

No comments:

Post a Comment