Friday, February 17, 2012

Two years

Two years ago today big guy was born and I became a mommy. Hard to believe. Some things I've gleaned so far. Being a parent is one of the most rewarding and yet simultaneously exhausting/demanding/difficult things to do in the world. But seeing big guy grow up and watching him develop more and more into the awesome person he is- its really amazing. Oh, and I've learned that he just keeps getting better and better. For instance, tomorrow is big guy's bday party. I've got all the Thomas train decorations, picking up balloons, and cake before nap time. Then we are having people over at three for pizza and fun. And I'm ordering the pizza during the party. Oh, and eveRyone has already been given their food to bring. That's right- I've planned ahead. Last year, I was entirely incapable of planning this party. My mom brought all the food. I was a mess. Big guy is getting better and I'm getting more functional.

The only thing working against us this year is that big guy is horribly ill. Runny nose. Horrific cough. And tonight, the night before the party, he spiked a fever. But he's been nebulized and choked down some fever reducer- really choked down- we had to wrestle him to get anything in his mouth. Who knows how much he got.

Today we also fortuitously had big guys two year appt. dr W wasn't too concerned about the cold being anything more than a cold. But she said to keep nebulizing. She said if the cough lasts longer than four weeks to call because it might be asthma related and would need stronger medicine. Oh dear! Other than that, he passed with flying colors. He's 3 feet 1.5 inches. 32 and a half pounds. The size of an average three year old- which we knew because he already wears 3T. She thought his speaking was great- right on track. And everything else developmentally was good to go. We talked about the pooping/potty issues and she was really listening. And unlike every other person I tell my dilemma too, she agreed with me that this was a good opportunity to really get him on the potty. Things I need to work on- making sitting on the potty fun, getting a better potty, and continuing with the miralax. All things I can work on. I've made up a potty song- "let's go to the potty and have ourselves a pee." and there are stickers once we are in there. I'm also in the market for a new potty, one that looks like a real one. And besides thinking big guy is fabulous, at the end of the appt, dr W gave me a pat on the back and said, "you're doing great mom." ah, validation!

No comments:

Post a Comment