Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Difficult difficult

Big guy is definitely a delicious blend of hubs and I. In the good and bad. Part of a personality trait that big guy got from us, ok, mostly me, is his difficultness. As in he is invariably difficult when it comes to following directions, listening, doing wacky things. Not to say he is bad or misbehaves all the time, I think we are pretty good disciplinarians. But he's stubborn and wants his own way. I've heard that's a trait of most first borne, along with pushiness, hardworking, and smart. All of which I think big guy are, too! Case and point, we have been having nightly battles around finishing dinner and getting dressed for bed. Dinner time is a work in progress. Some nights he's ready to roll for dinner and is fine. Others he refuses to sit down and has to sit on my lap. The other night, I made dinner and had it waiting for him. He was pissy about something. As usual. So, he runs over to the table and throws the plate on the floor. Splat! Food on the floor with plate covering it. Oooh. I was so mad. But I calmly out him on the floor and let him know that he had to sit there until I said he could get up. After the silent treatment while I ate for a few minutes, he was ready. Or our other dinner disaster where he eats half his meal and then runs to the couch to be silly. I calmly ask to come back, then count to three, then he has to sit with me until he's finished. Sometimes it's a wrestling match. But I always win. I often wonder why he even bothers to battle me. Must be a toddler thing. Tonight was a classic example of difficulty at bedtime. Kicking, running away, slapping when hubs or I calmly ask him to stop being mean. The binky is our biggest bargaining chip. It gets taken away when he doesn't listen. Tonight, after kicking and not listening, hubs was at a level seven frustration, so he scooted downstairs for me to finish the dressing process. The shirt was on, but we still needed the pants. Big guy had shoved his pj bottoms under the pillow and was swinging his leg back and forth to try to keep me at bay, like some kind of lion. So, I calmly,said, you kick me again and I'm taking the binky for the night. Now, give me your pants and help me put them on. And he gave me the look that says I hear you woman. He reached under the pillow, pulled out his pants and stuck out his legs. He helped me pull them up and turn off the light, before giving me a big good night kiss. I love this toddler thing. The tantrums and stretching his boundaries certainly suck st times. But watching him learn so much new stuff- words, how to do things for himself, follow directions, understanding rational conversations. They are just the best. And his cuteness and humor, as well as, his ability to make all things fun. Just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment