Monday, March 14, 2011

Nebulizer

Friday morning, big guy woke up with a cough. It sounded like he was a pack a day smoker. Very dry. Very forceful. But he had a great day with Grandma C and slept great during nap time and at night. Saturday came and the cough was still there. Hubs had something to do in the morning, so big guy and I were left to our own devices. Big guy and I were going to go to the farmer's market, but our walk turned a little cold, so we made a pit stop at the Cosi. Mmmm, hot chocolate. We went to the park in the afternoon- big guy loves slides- headfirst- of course! And then another walk at night.

Clearly, we may have done too much. But it was sooo nice out, we had to take advantage. Before big guy went to bed he started wheezing. Uh-oh. We were worried about another night of croup, but the after-hours nurse assured us the cough wasn't croupy. Big guy again slept great, and wasn't wheezing at night. Ok... Sunday came and he was wheezing from the moment he woke up. Crap.

We decided to take it easy and stay close to home. Big guy wasn't feeling well. Very tired, grumpy, hard time sleeping, and breathing. This morning, I call the Dr and off to the office we go. Yup- he's wheezing. Time for the nebulizer! The Dr. wants to do one treatment in the office, to show me how to use it, and to hear his chest afterwards. No biggie.

But then the nurse- who was super nice and calm, brings it in and big guy FREAKS OUT! He starts screaming at the top of his lungs, crying, punching, kicking, essentially trying to get as far away from the mask as possible. Then the nurse took over. I tucked his legs into mine, held his arms down, and the nurse held his head and mask. He cried for about two more minutes and then fell asleep. it was really pathetic.

When it was done, he was still asleep. I put him on my shoulder and he slept through the Dr. re-checking with her stethoscope, talking about directions for the nebulizer, me setting up the follow-up appt on Thursday, putting everything in the car, getting into the car seat, driving home, getting out of the car, and getting into bed. He was really tired. I was not looking forward to subsequent nebulizer times. But I forewarned hubs and we put on one of big guy's favorite little shows- Wonder Pets- and he calmly sat on my lap watching it for 10 mins with his mask on. G-d, I love tv.

1 comment: