Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Soccer class

I may have mentioned that big guy and I signed up for a soccer class. Well, the class is at the nest- a hip ( ok, I didn't realize how hip) place in center city. It was advertised as a class for 2-3 years olds. Well. Big guy has some inherent soccer kicking skills so I thought we would join. Out first day was the Saturday after new years. We arrive just in time to go to class. Big guy had fallen asleep in the car, so he was very groggy and mostly clung to me the first ten mins. But we he was handed his very own soccer ball he Definitely pepped up!

So, most of the kids were running around like crazy people, except I did notice that everyone else seemed pretty tall and more on the three year old side. And you know, three year olds can follow directions and express themselves in full sentences, two skills that big guy is still working on. It was all going fine until big guy was laying on the floor and got hit ( I use the term loosely as I had time to say to big guy, you better move or that is going to hit you in the face). Then big guy started to sob and then continued to sob for the next half hour intermittently. Clearly, not the most fun we've had recently. We head home and I played it up as ok, not really fun, but it was our first class- it can only get better- right?

The next week I aske hubs to go with me just to ensure that it was really as bad as I thought or if I was just being sensitive. We got there early this time and ate lunch while big guy played with the trains in the hang out zone. That's when I noticed the skinny, hair blown out moms- not good for my self esteem. anyway- we head up to class and we are ten mins early. Everyone again is running around having a good time. Then the teacher calls everyone together and starts chatting about class. He asks everyone how last class went since he wasn't there. Some jerk parent has the audacity to say it was a bit unstructured. To which the teacher says its going to be ore ore structured now that he is there.

Dread. Clear dread on my face. More structure, I need less structure. He asks all the kids and parents to stand on one wall and we are going to do sprints. Everyone listens except for- ding ding ding- big guy who is still sprinting with joy throughout the room screaming like a mad man. Whew- tough crowd- I got a lot of nasty looks. So hubs and I spend the next ten minutes chasing big guy around the room trying to get him to participate in some kind of reasonable way to the activity. No such luck. We were both sweating. Hubs at one point looks at me and says, this is hell.

The last straw came when we were expected to have big guy stand on one circle while we stood on another a few feet away. Ok, we were done. We left the room with big guy sobbing hysterically. Needless to say, we put our account on hold until summer. Epic fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment