Wednesday, February 2, 2011

ENT appt

On wednesday, we finally made it to the ENT- ear, nose, and throat dr. We were recommended to go since big guy has had near constant ear infections for 6 weeks! Not fun. Our first appt was canceled due to 12 inches of snow- psht, I would have made it, maybe. And mother nature tried to prevent us again, ice rain was in the forecast. But, it turned out to be mildly slippery. And when did ice rain become weather?

We made it there and must have had one of the first appts. People were grumpy there- I guess they were slowed down by the weather. We got into a room relatively quickly and only waited a short time before the nurse practitioner came in. Or as I call her in my head, the bitchy nurse practitioner. I think none of the nurses were there, so she ended up doing the nurse's job. SHe was a huge jerk.

anyway, the dr was nice and listened to our history and then took a peek. Yup, the infection we were attempting to keep at bay had turned into one, even with a preventative 5 mls of antibiotic at night. The verdict- tubes! That's right, my bubba has to have surgery. Ok,Ok. They've been doing it for over 30 years, perfectly safe, and takes about 10 minutes start to finish. But, it is still surgery.

After I got into a fight with the bitchy nurse practitioner- she was talking mumbo jumbo. The big guy got a hearing test, so we could have a baseline before surgery and then he'll have another one after surgery to see the improvement. The audiologist was awesome. We got to sit in a soundproof room and there were speakers. And three really creepy stuffed animals that lit up, moved, and talked! That's right- a bear that drummed, a dog that barked, and a squirrel with a trombone. It was hilarious and frightening at the same time. Luckily, the audiologist warned us ahead of time!

Big guy passed his hearing test like any person would who has fluid in their ears. Everything is muffled. It's so sad to me that he hasn't been hearing properly all this time. The good thing is that I am really loud. So, my big guy is scheduled for surgery on the 23rd. In the meantime, I'll continue to talk so loud and obnoxiously!

2 comments:

  1. Big Guy and I will have something in common--I also got tubes in my ears when I was about 1. I can't remember ever having an ear infection as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. we're up for our ENT on the 17th. I wonder if that's why Pips hasn't said any other words except "mama"? Maja was talking in sentences at 18mo and Pips only has 1 or 2 words. Sigh. I'm definitely advocating for the tubes!

    ReplyDelete