Monday, August 22, 2011

The end

Summer is coming to a close. School is about to start and I'm truly sad. I have had a wonderful summer, much better than last year. And I thought last year was pretty fabulous! Today, after two nights of bad sleep and rain/being trapped indoors all day yesterday, I thought it would be fun for big guy and I to hit up the really cool Smith Playground again. It was going to be nice out- sunny in the mid 80's.

We got there just as it was opening... or so I thought. A huge sign hanging at the entrance says closed on mondays. Bullsh*t- the website said open all week from 10-4. Extremely pissed off, I made the choice to head to the zoo- since it was only 5 mins away and I didn't want to keep big guy in the car any longer, seeing as he was getting whiny and squirmy back there.

I didn't really want to go to the zoo. Our last visit was so pleasant that I had wanted that one to stick in my mind. I knew this wouldn't be as enjoyable. We went to the children's zoo and pet some goats and fed the ducks. We ate any early lunch, which big guy surprisingly was good for. We ran around the treehouse for half an hour- it was my attempt for him to get out his energy that he would have expelled at the park. And we saw the tiger up close again.

Around 12:30 I decided it had been enough. Big guy was in his stroller munching on some pirate's booty- a family fav. We got to the car and I had to change his diaper. I knew this would cause problems for me, seeing as getting big guy into his car seat is trouble enough these days, without changing a diaper first. Big guy was standing on his seat trying to push the diaper off- hmmm, need to get that tiny potty started! So, I handed him part of a banana- which he also surprisingly took and started eating. I had the car running but two doors were open, so it was cool in the car, but also breezy. Big guy was content, so I busted out my yogurt that I didn't have a chance to eat yet.

And big guy and I had a mini picnic. It turned out to be the nicest part of our morning. We were talking about bananas and monkeys. Enjoying each other's company. I trickily got him into his seat and belted up, all the while giving him the second half of the banana (it's fun watching him eat bananas now b/c I don't have to cut them but can just give him half at a time). I looked at him and yes got a little misty when I said, "I love you. I have had a great summer. I can't wait for next summer." He gave me a big banana-y grin in response. It has been a great summer :)


No comments:

Post a Comment