Sunday, November 27, 2011

Playground etiquette

We've been on a lot of new playgrounds recently and I have to say it's a very tricky place to navigate. For one, there are a ton of kids, their weird parents (with their own rules), and then the toys they bring. My general rule of thumb is -don't bring a toy you aren't willing to share. Inevitably kids want to play with other stuff besides the equipment and if you aren't willing to share, it leads to tears and frustration.

Friday we went to a park near where I grew up. It was gigantic! And there were a bunch of kids who brought balls. Fine, but when big guy would go kicking a ball or want to hold it and run, kids would get upset. One kid actually ripped a toy out of luke's hand- I had to intervene. And while I thought about pushing the little kid into the woodchips, I resisted! Instead, we strolled on the walking path.

Anyway, on sunday the weather was still gorgeous, so we went to a local park that I was told is ALWAYS empty- hubs and grandma C said this every time they have gone. So, I brought with us a big blue ball that hubs won at a carnival by smacking a hammer down and making the bell ring at the top. We show up and our neighbors are there- luckily they are super nice and their kids are older so they weren't interested in the ball. Then Grandma C, Uncle I, and Grandpop J show up! Uncle I had a tennis lesson on one of the courts. Then another little boy and his mom show up. Of course this little guy wants our ball. It was going OK in the beginning, but then big guy got a little possessive and I became that mom who brings the toy that won't be shared. I broke my own rule- but only by accident. Anyway, it all worked out, we found a tennis ball for this other little guy to play with. But this playground etiquette is sometimes dangerous to navigate. I figure as long as I don't push anyone, I'll be good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment